Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Sounds....

Lagos...
Aside from the sights it is the sounds that hit you in this city.
A bombardment of noise from all corners at all hours.
There is a constant drone of generators assisting the epileptic power supply that is NEPA (Never Expect Power Anytime) now named PHCN (Please Hold Candle Near) Nigerians often find humour in the strangest of places. The saying if you didn't laugh you would cry is never truer here.
These generators are present everywhere, from the small ' I betta pass my neighbour ' sets for individual use puttering along to the enormous systems powering office blocks of head offices; you cannot escape.
Then there is the traffic: cars, buses, trucks, sirens, horns and okada (motorcycle taxis) that often are pimped to carry a horn better suited to a truck so that cars will hear them and move in panic.


 The numerous markets around Lagos; Balogun for example where the old CBD of Lagos island used to be, is a hectic place where anything can be found for sale. The sellers shout out at the top of their voice asking shoppers to look at their product, attention is often grabbed by a curt hiss or kissing sound, making you turn, once eye contact is taken the hard sell is on. People will shout 'Oyibo' (white-man) which will then be replicated by others the further you walk down the street.
Even the bars and clubs have their music on so loud that its difficult to communicate except by sign language, or perhaps I'm getting old!

At prayer time the distinct call from the Mosques can be heard while on a Sunday and odd times of night, hymns ring out from the numerous churches that spring up from seemingly nowhere.
Early in the morning by my house I hear a girl shouting "buuuuuuuuuuuy breaaaaaaaad" in a high pitched wail, mixed in with barking dogs, bull frogs and cicadas and occasionally the odd radio.
There is rarely true silence in this city. Even at the beach the waves have a voice.

My first time back to London, I arrived at Picadilly station on a Monday at around 8am.

 I remember in my first visits there from the north thinking that London was a hustling city full of noise, this time I was astounded by the peace and quiet, I swear I could hear a pin drop.

Perhaps all the noise here is one reason for the shouting, Nigerians often like to shout. Its not that they are particularly angry, I think they just like to be heard above the constant din.


No comments:

Post a Comment